Saturday, July 19, 2014

Running


I have been a competitive runner for three years now and I’m going to be running in college.  A lot of people ask me why I like it so much.  I didn’t always like running growing up.  I thought it was dumb to be honest.  A lot of people say people like running because they get the “runners high.”  I think this might be true for me.  Although I don’t think that’s the only reason I run.  Running has always been competitive for me.  I just enjoy pushing myself and having the feeling of accomplishment.  After finishing a race I’ve always had such a great feeling when I give it my all.  It’s those moments when you let negative thoughts creep into your mind that you feel you let yourself down.  This is one of the best lessons I have learned from running always stay positive.  Growing up always playing baseball lived kind of a lazy lifestyle always trying to put on weight so I could be big one day.  I got tired of the baseball program at my school though so I decided to go into running.  Once I got into running it was pretty tough going out for a four mile run my first day.  Especially since I junk food was what my diet mainly consisted of before then.  So it was definitely hard to stay positive first starting out.  Although the more miles the more smiles the saying goes and it’s kind of true.  I thought if I stayed with it and put a lot of effort into it I would eventually become pretty good.  Sure enough the more in shape I got the easier it was and it’s definitely a lot more fun to start winning races then staying a mediocre runner.  Running is just a really good discipline for me.  It kept me committed to something in high school, which probably kept me out of trouble.   So it has been a really good experience and getting a scholarship in nice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment